Motorola finally pushed out the much delayed RBE.3.00 firmware update for the i1. It has the YouTube app preinstalled and fixes a bunch of bugs including the one that made Skyfire and other alternate browsers crash when using WiFi. There’s a full list of fixes here.
To install the update over the air:
- Be sure you have a fully charged battery and a solid WiFi connection (the update will not install over the Boost iDEN network)
- Open Settings, select About Phone, then “System Update”.
- After a short delay you will be prompted to install the update.
- After the download finishes, you will be prompted to “Install”.
- The phone will restart during the update process. Do not turn the phone off or mess with it in any way during the update which will take 5-10 minutes to complete. Interfering with or interrupting the update could make your phone unusable.
- When the phone has completely restarted and the normal standby screen appears the update is complete.
There are more detailed instructions with screen shots on the Motorola site
It’s also possible to download the update to a PC and transfer it to the phone for installation using a USB cable. The update file and instructions are available from Motorola.
To check the current firmware on your i1 go to Settings > About Phone > Trace Mode > Unit Info > Software > AP Version. It should say RBE.3.00 after updating.