BoostApps Forun member jnsbigbie discovered that the Opera Mini “Mobile Downloads” App Store works with his Boost Mobile Sanyo Incognito. Opera’s App Store is one of the default speed dial shortcuts in Opera Mini. If you deleted it or you are using a different browser the URL is mobilestore.opera.com. jnsbigbie says that most of the free apps he tried downloading from the store worked for him.
This a great find for users of the Incognito and the other Boost CDMA phones like the Mirro, Seek, Rant, Rambler, Bali, Juno and W385. These phones can theoretically download apps through the built in browser or Opera Mini but they are very fussy about the formatting and content of the JAD file. Many downloads from sites like GetJar and Mobilrated fail to install or run on the CDMA phones.
I was hoping that some of the apps in the Opera Store would also work with the iDEN phones like my i776. Unfortunately, I had no luck using either of the bookmarklets to send apps to the phone with the Universal App Loader.
I was able to open the Opera Store in Firefox on my PC and send a couple of games to my phone with the Loader.
Both the games I tried, Adrenaline Racing (which works on jnsbigbie’s Incognito) and Contraflow. installed and ran on the i776 but hung on the startup screen. I’m going to keep trying to see if I can find some games in the Opera store that work on iDEN phones. If I do I’ll post them here and also try find a way to make the bookmarklet work.
If you want to try sending games and apps from the Opera Store to your iDEN phone with the Loader, here’s the process.
- Open mobilestore.opera.com in your PC browser. I tested it with Firefox and Opera PC, but Chrome and IE should work too.
- Click “Java” under “Choose Platform”.
- When find an app you want, click the “Download” button. Choose a phone (several iDEN models, including the i9 and the i776 are listed).
- Press the “Start download” button and then cancel the download when it starts.
- Right click the “Start download” button and choose “Copy link address” (Opera) or “Copy Link Location” Firefox.
- Open the Loader, right click the “Enter JAD or JAR URL” box, choose “Paste” and press OK and enter your phone number on the next page as usual.
If you do try this let us know in a comment below or on the forum if you find a game or app that works.