Whatsapp is a very popular messaging service that was recently acquired by Facebook. It lets you post status updates, images, videos and your location all of which are instantly shared with your friends.
Unfortunately for Java phone users, Whatsapp is primarily a smartphone app with versions for Android, iOS, Windows Phone, BlackBerry and Symbian. There is a Java version but it only supports the following Nokia S40 and Asha Phones: Nokia C3-00, Nokia C3-01, Nokia X2-01, Nokia X3-02, Nokia X2-00
Nokia Asha: 201, 205, 206 Single Sim, 208, 210, 300, 301, 302, 303, 305, 306, 308, 309, 310, 311, 515, 500, 501, 502, 503, 230.
Whatsapp reportedly actually woks on most modern Nokia S40 and Asha phones. But if you don't have one of the supported phones, the Whatsapp site and the Nokia Store won't even let you download it.Even if you do manage to download it you will get an "unsupport device" error when you try to run it.
Fortunately there's a workaround for that. Unfortunately Nokia and Whatsapp didn't make it easy. To install Whatsapp on a non supported device:
1) The process is easiest if you have a PC and a USB cable for your phone. If you do, download the jad and jar files listed below to your PC and copy them to the Apps & Games folder on your phone's memory card. Then skip to step 6 below.
2) If you don't have a PC, open this page with the UC Browser on your phone and tap or click the jad file link below and choose "Save". Change the download path to E:/Apps&Games and hit "OK" and then "Save" to download the file. Do the same for the jar file.
3) Next, open the Games&Apps folder on your phone and choose Memory Card. then choose Apps&games and you should see whatsapp_jad and whatsapp_jar.
4) On touchscreen phones,press and hold whatsapp_jad until a menu appears and then choose "Rename" and change the name to whatsapp.jad (replace the "_" with "."). Then rename whatsapp_jar as whatsapp.jar
5) On non-touchscreen phones, highlight whatsapp_jad and press "Options" and choose "Rename" and rename it as whatsapp.jad. Then rename whatsapp_jar as whatsapp.jar
6) Open the Apps&Games folder on the phone and tap the memory card folder and then the Apps&Games folder. Press and hold or highlight the Whatsapp icon and choose options and then "Update version". If it tells you that you already have the latest version and asks if you want to replace it, choose " Yes". After the update finishes tap the Instagram icon again toinstall it.
You can try installing Whatsapp on non-Nokia phones but it's unlikely to work.
Data Connection Required: yes
Minimum Java ME profile: MIDP 2.0
Screen Size: All
Touch support: Yes
Reported working on: Nokia Asha 303, Nokia C2-00, Nokia X2-02, Sony Ericsson c510, Sony Ericsson W20
Reported NOT working on: LG GS500, LG 840g, Motorola Rambler, Nokia 110, Nokia 112, Nokia 200,Nokia 2055, Nokia 2690, Nokia 2700c, Nokia 5130, Nokia 5130-c2, Nokia 6270,Nokia 6300, Nokia 6303i Classic, Nokia Asha 503, Nokia C1-01, Nokia C2-00, Nokia C2-01, Nokia C2-03, Nokia C2-06, Nokia N70, Nokia X3-00, Samsung GT-C6712, Samsung Wave GT-S8500, ZTE G-N281
The app "WhatsApp" (1775 KB) is ready to download or send to your phone as filename:"whatsapp".
Download to your Phone
Go to http://boostapps.com
with your phone's browser, click the "Enter jump code" link and enter this jump code: 7841
Download to your PC
JAD JAR ZIP